About Us

Find A Doctor

Community Resources

Join Our Team

About Your Visit

Healthcare Services

CHISLHB History

Nursery at Dow Magnesium Hospital, 1947
The history of CHI St. Luke's Health Brazosport started in 1942, when World War II fueled the economy and population growth throughout the Brazosport area. The city felt Freeport Hospital could not sustain the escalating populations so Dow Magnesium Hospital was built in 1947. In conjunction with the Dow Magnesium Corporation, the 42-bed hospital consisted of three physicians, an operating room, emergency room, and a kitchen and dining room for the staff. In 1947, Dow purchased the hospital from the government and in 1961, they donated it to the community and it became The Community Hospital of Brazosport.

The Community Hospital of Brazosport, 1966The Community Hospital of Brazosport employed 29 RN’s, 6 LVN’s, and 21 nurse’s aides. Members of their medical staff included 25 active physicians, 17 courtesy physicians, and 10 consulting physicians. In 1955, the hospital expanded their patient capacity to 78 beds. However, the hospital was too small for the growing community and a need for a larger hospital arose. In 1958, the auxiliary was established and volunteers provided service to the hospital. Around that time, two hospitals in Freeport merged to become the Community Hospital of Brazosport in 1962. In 1966, the new four-story, 60,000 square foot facility was built in Freeport, Texas. The $2.2 million hospital increased bed capacity to 127 and offered an increased number of services.

The 127-bed hospital had a full fledged offering of services. The first floor included the business and administrative offices, lobby, gift shop and cafeteria. Gynecological and neonatal services as well as 5 labor beds, 2 delivery rooms, nursery and postpartum beds were available on the second floor. Surgery was located on the third floor and it consisted of 3 operating rooms, 5 recovery beds, 6 beds for special post-surgical care and 28 post-surgery beds. The fourth floor served as a medical floor and included a 6 bed intensive care unit.

Brazosport Memorial HospitalFor almost twenty years, the hospital remained near the Gulf of Mexico in Freeport, TX. However, officials felt the hospital needed to be relocated because of design and structural deficiencies. As a result, Dow again gave another generous donation of $5.5 million and 25 acres of land. In 1981, officials broke ground in Lake Jackson for construction of the new facility and in October 1984, the hospital opened as Brazosport Memorial Hospital (BMH) for a total cost of $30 million.

In the same year, Brazosport Health Foundation was established. The non-profit organization is there to help improve hospital facilities, increase and diversify medical services, defray costs for patients with financial hardships, and provide outstanding patient care. Their mission is to support the hospital and its groundbreaking work in the Lake Jackson community. With the support of the hospital system and the community-at-large, the Foundation will continue to thrive and support the health and medical initiatives of the greater Lake Jackson community for many years to come.

Brazosport Regional Cancer CenterIn 1993, the cancer center was added to the hospital after a significant contribution from the Health Foundation and Auxiliary. The CHI St. Luke's Health - Brazosport Cancer Center offered and still offers preventative, diagnostic and therapeutic strategies. The facility has 6 private rooms, a radiation area, a private lab, and an infusion suite with 5 chairs. The cancer center now has 2 chemotherapy doctors and 1 radiation oncologist.

In the years proceeding, many new units arrived. In 1994, the Inpatient Rehabilitation Care opened on the 5th floor. Opening in 1995, the women’s health center was placed in the Annex Building where only mammographies were administered. In 1996, transitional care, Joint Ventured Outpatient Rehabilitation Center and the Southern Brazoria County Pediatric Clinic was opened.

The hospital had yet another opportunity to expand because of the growing population. For that reason, BMH completed a $6.5 million renovation project and from 1998 to 2000, the hospital introduced the Wound Healing Center, Cardiac Rehabilitation Center, minor care in the ER, Same Day Surgery, and an Endoscopy area. The renovation also added the outside laboratory, a new pharmacy and materials services, the business and financial services building, a new environmental services department, a new physical therapy area, and 3 new classrooms.

Brazosport Regional Health SystemIn 2004, through capital campaigns, the Health Foundation contributed $1.8 million and auxiliary pledged $125,000 to BMH to break ground on another major expansion. January of 2006, BMH constructed and opened the $11 million, 26,000 square foot addition that created a modern space for the Dow Women’s Center and a new diagnostic imaging area. The Dow Women’s Center accommodates a 10-bed unit with labor, delivery, recovery, and postpartum all in one suite. The new diagnostic imaging section includes state of the art technology including a new CT Scan, and MRI machine that allows higher definition faster than before. Plus, two mammography suites were added as well. In August of 2006, the final phase of the construction project was completed with an interventional Cardiac Cath Lab.

As the organization continued to grow and BMH offered an increased number of regionally based service lines, in mid 2006, the BMH Board of Directors decided to change the organization’s name to Brazosport Regional Health System.

In 2007, CHI St. Luke's Health Brazosport opened their first urgent care facility. This facility offers basic medical care for cold and flu symptoms, minor injuries, back pains, strains and sprains, minor cuts and scrapes, allergy attacks and many other minor medical needs.

As a 154-bed hospital, CHI St. Luke's Health Brazosport provides comprehensive treatment services far surpassing most community hospitals of comparable size. Our medical staff consists over 100 board-certified physicians with a full range of clinical specialties and approximately 500 highly-qualified full and part-time employees. The five-star hospital is led by Chief Executive Officer, Al Guevara and governed by a twelve member Board of Trustees and two advisory trustees.

Our mission is to be recognized as the healthcare provider of choice and to provide high quality, cost effective healthcare for the communities we serve. It is our commitment to provide health care with excellence and compassion.

August 11th, 2012 marked the 70th Year of Service of the Brazosport Regional Health System. CHI St. Luke's Health Brazosport is a not-for-profit, acute care hospital that has provided the community we serve with high quality healthcare services, state of the art technology, caring staff and first rate physicians. 

On January 25, 2016 Brazosport Regional Health System signed an affiliation agreement with CHI St. Luke's Health with an effective date of February 1, 2016 and became CHI St. Luke's Health Brazosport. The relationship with Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI) provides CHI St. Luke’s Health Brazosport with the stability to continue to enhance our community hospital.  In addition, the direct alignment with CHI St. Luke’s Health in Houston, enables the Brazosport community to have expanded access to care provided at the $1.1 billion Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center, the Texas Heart® Institute (THI), a world-class cardiovascular research and education institution, and the Baylor College of Medicine (BCM), which is ranked as one of the top academic science universities in the country.